While it is unfortunate to have COVID-19 cases within our schools, it is not unexpected given what is happening throughout the world. Kenowa Hills Public Schools remains diligent in its efforts to keep students and staff members safe and is committed to being transparent with our community. To this end, this page provides an overview of our processes in the event a COVID-19 positive case is determined within one of our schools and the number of current cases within our schools. A historical view of the number of cases since school began in the Fall of 2020 can be found by accessing the Kent ISD COVID-19 Dashboard.
Process When District Receives Notification of COVID-19 Case
- Immediately email parents and staff within the school community to alert them of the situation and subsequently email parents and staff of specific class or group; and
- Remove students from the exposed classroom(s), if necessary, and sanitize all affected areas.
- Privacy regulations restrict us from sharing identifying information about individuals affected by COVID-19.
- We will continue to work closely with the Kent County Health Department when there are positive cases and will follow their guidance for handling the impact of cases at the classroom, building, and district levels. We will also seek guidance from the health department regarding thresholds for maintaining in-person instruction.
Layers of Safety Support
- Face Coverings - All students and staff are highly encouraged to wear a mask while indoors; regardless of vaccination status, though it is not required. Masks will be available for students who need one. Students who have a medical condition that impedes their ability to wear a mask will be exempted from doing so with a waiver from a medical doctor.
- Daily Screening - All students and staff are encouraged to complete a daily health screening. Any student or staff member with COVID symptoms should stay home and contact the school nurse who will provide guidance.
- Social Distancing - All students and staff should maintain 6 feet of social distancing whenever possible, avoid congregating.
- Cohorting - Elementary students will remain as a class throughout the day. Secondary students will be on a block (Black & Gold) schedule with three (3) classes per day.
- Hygiene & Cleaning -Students and staff are encouraged and will be reminded to use hand sanitizer or wash their hands with warm water several times throughout the day.
- Nurses - Each school will have a full-time nurse available to care for any student or staff member who expresses COVID-like symptoms.
- Testing - Free onsite COVID testing will be available to any student or staff member who demonstrates common COVID symptoms.